Friday, November 12, 2010

Trying to feel Fall

I just don't *do* mature, neutral, earthy, Fall colors. But I am trying to step outside my comfort zone of pinks, greens, stripes, and glitter. Well, not the glitter. :)

My attempt at Fallish:


These pendants were experimenting w/artist chalks. Inspired by a tutorial by Tina Holden.


In person they almost look like crushed velvet under glass. It's a happy accident I'm going to play with more!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Smallish

After many requests for pint-sized versions of my jewelry, I'd like to introduce "Smallish", necklaces made smallish for young girls. :)



They are a clay base, tiny girly stickers, glitter (of course), and resin. Strung on pastel varigated satin cord, lavender or black buna. I hope my smallish customers love them!



So tiny! :)


These two little guys aren't smallish, but they were laying there patiently waiting to become pendants, so I took a pic. Who can resist taking a pic of 2 hooters??

Wednesday, July 07, 2010

New antique bronze necklaces

Trying out some new antique bronze findings. This is way outside my comfort zone! My brain only thinks in silver. :) But I bought the filigree pieces over a year ago and decided to take the plunge and try to use them. Of course I didn't use it as a bead wrap like it was designed. LOL!

I was so excited to find the wings! Winged hearts are one of my favorite things. Again, I didn't use the finding in the way it was designed. I embedded it in the clay.

If you need antique color findings, I highly recommend Steampunk Junk Supply on Etsy. Nice prices, selection, and lightning fast shipping! (my personal favorite)

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Olivia


Olivia
Originally uploaded by ~Christie
I started this over a year ago. So today when I started looking for a "first project", I knew I should finish Olivia. :) Except for my terrible sewing skills I think she turned out great! Tomorrow she gets a proper stand.

This time I made clay arms instead of embroidery thread over the wire armature.

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Fireplace makeover

Hello neglected blog! It's been over a year since I've blogged and over a year since I've done anything crafty! I'm surprised I haven't had to be hospitalized! :)

I'm excited to share my inexpensive fireplace makeover!
This is a low/no traffic area (b/c I rarely dust!). I don't think this technique would hold up to regular foot traffic, but for our fireplace tiles it seems to be sturdy enough.

After cleaning and vacuuming, I taped and papered the area. Old wrapping paper made the perfect FREE protective paper!


Two cans of white primer spray paint covered the dingy old peach tiles. $6.00!


A stiff stenciling paintbrush, inexpensive acrylic paints (white, gray, black, silver metallic), and some white holographic glitter were the only materials I needed. I painted each tile individually so they looked unique and more realistic. Each tile got a small sprinkle of glitter before the paint dried. Because the world can never have too much glitter!


Oh yea, I also used a small detail brush. Painted a white "grout" line between all the tiles. Then I sprayed on 2 cans of clear gloss paint.




And to think...my husband doubted my crafty skills! :) This was thrify, inexpensive and only took a couple days. (even with my army of children underfoot)

4 cans of spray paint - $12.00
3 bottles of acrylic paint - $3.00
2 paint brushes - $5.00 (this was a LARGE combo pack..now I have 20 xtra brushes for future projects!)

Everything else I had on hand. So for $20.00 we have a new tile job! Beats the heck out of several hundred dollars Hubby would spend to rip out the old and replace with new. :)