Mom calls us her refugees, but I prefer evacuees...it's sounds less 3rd worldy. :)
We survived Ike. And honestly...at our house (which is 50 miles north of Houston) the weather wasn't that bad. Not by our standards anyway. We had several hours of strong, sustained winds. Probably 70+ mph. We didn't flood, but our neighbord had sewage backing up into their backyards. EW. EW. EW.
Nothing in our neighborhood was destroyed, but there was a lot of damage in town. Certain areas around the lake were heavily damaged. I wish I had a picture of the large boat dock that was blown up and on top of it's neighboring boat dock. It made a huge, mangled boat dock sandwich. Crazy! There were plenty of snapped trees and damaged roofs. And there is no power anywhere in town. Or the neighboring towns. From what we heard, the hospital was about the only place with power.
We lost power at 4:30am Saturday. Not bad considering the weather hit a couple hours before that. Saturday Aaron fired up the grill and made enough hamburgers for a small army and then smoked a huge brisket. We had planned on riding out the no-electricity thing for a couple days. But then we hear on the radio that it could be at least a week, or two, or three, before we got power......we decided to pack up our yummy food and get the heck out of dodge! It's not like Garrett would miss school or Aaron miss work. About noon-thirty yesterday we started driving north.
Mom is happily sharing her house with us until our neighbors call with news of electricity in TX. With any luck it will be one day this week! In the meantime Aaron will do a little work on the house, which is always good.
Thanks for your well wishes and concerns for us! We are safe and sound and waiting it out WITH ELECTRICITY in Oklahoma. :)