Friday, July 25, 2008

Hot dogs and cancer?

I just saw this CNN report on the possible cancer risks of eating processed meats. (it's a video clip, just FYI if you are at work) :) This is actually alarming to me.

Now let me preface this by saying, I am NOT a cancer-aphobe type person. Actually I get rather tired of hearing about everything that could cause cancer. If we avoided it all we'd have to live in a damn bubble and survive on IV fluids, ya know?
We wear our sunscreen and our seat belts. I quit smoking years ago. We just try to live sensibly, but don't spend lots of time sweating all the minutia.

But we are family of carnivores. Carnivores on a budget no less, so processed meats are a huge part of our diet. Since the American Cancer Society has even said to limit your consumption as much as possible, I think I'll listen to this warning.
Damnit. Hot dogs are for lunch in this house several days a week! As are meat and cheese sandwiches. Damnit, damnit, damnit.

No comments: