Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Life in the South

I've lived nearly my entire life in 'the south'. This time I've only traveled one state further south, but it's certainly different down here.

Little gecko lizards run around here like grasshoppers did in Okla. Luckily I'm not squeamish about geckos but it still takes some getting used to!

Snakes! Apparently snakes (venomous ones) are also common here. This is a neighbor I am not willing to get to know. There was one living under our AC unit (outside!!) when we moved in. Aaron killed it straight away. The kids receive regular reminders about snakes and staying away from them.

Humidity! The temperature and the humidity level are usually equal. Ugh. I'm going to start referring to this place as The Amazon. It's just...ew.

So far one thing I do enjoy is all the trees. I loooooove trees. This area is very tree covered. So when I'm looking out my windows (I am NOT going outside in the humidity) I see nothing but trees. That makes me smile. :)

We live in a lake city. We do not have a boat, but it's nice to see water and boats everywhere.
We are close enough to Houston that all the cities run end to end basically. This makes for lots of shopping. Right now there is no shopping money available, but when there is...look out! :)

We are close to a major metro, but far enough away that it has been nearly impossible to get internet and cable tv!! It has been a huge frustration! Right now I'm online thanks to my FIL's wireless GSM card. I've been here nearly 2 weeks with no internet, tv, or phone. I was *this close* to a stutter and a violent twitch. I'm not joking. I'm hoping to have service started next week. Hope! Thanks to FIL's card at least I won't need medication or therapy first.

I've spent the last couple days at the clay table. Yay! I've even made several things. The no contact with the outside world thing has given me lots of free time. LOL! That and it's so much easier keeping this smaller house clean! Anyway, I'll take pictures and get my Etsy store going again soon. It's so nice to sit at that table and piddle all day!

One picture I do have tonight is of Miss Emily. She turned 3 yesterday! Here she is showing off some new shoes. Every girl needs a pair of pink feathered shoes!

6 comments:

Gina said...

I'm right there with the snakes. HEEB!

Happy Birthday Emily!! 3!! I can't believe it. It seems like just yesterday that I received the call that she was here. Sigh.

Miss you loads. Glad to see you! :)

Gaile said...

Well, Happy Birthday, Emily! I have a few years on her and I've yet to own any pink feather shoes (but I do have a pair of shiny red ones)!

I'm glad to hear you all survived the move okay. (and less housework is always a good thing)!

Michael said...

Glad to hear from you again!

(g) Welcome to the humid South!

Susan Turney said...

It's good to see you back, Christie! Ick to snakes and humidity but I'm sure there are lots of good things there, too. It'll just take a while to find them. I'm looking forward to pics!

Megan said...

Ew, humidity. I feel for you! Glad you're there and mostly settled in, but the lack of internet must be awful. I sympathize!

Cindy said...

Yay, it's so good to see you back!!! I'm with you on the crazy Southern humidity. Yeow.

(I have a pet snake...want to hold it? LOL!)

Happy 3rd Birthday, Emily! I can't believe she's such a big girl already!!! Wow!