Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Do you make lotion?

I'd like to give it a try. Not to mass produce, just for myself. After 3 long, itchy pregnancies I'd like to have my own luxurious lotion to slather on my growing tummy this time around. Allow me to think out loud about what I've been finding online today. And please feel free to leave any advice you might have!
  • I hate the smell of cocoa butter. Haaaate it. Today I discovered that cocoa butter comes in a refined version that is unscented. Woohoo!!
  • I love the feel of shea butter lotion. So I'm looking for a combo (unscented) cocoa butter and shea butter lotion.
  • My tummy is sensitive to fragrance right now. But there are a few smells I can still enjoy in moderation. Another reason I'd like to mix my own.
  • Sandlewood, lavender and vanilla (in moderation), chamomile. Yeap...that's about it for now. LOL!
  • I used to wear BLV perfume. Which has nothing to do w/the lotion making stuff, I just felt like throwing that in. :)
  • I found this recipe for a belly cream for preggos. It looks fairly easy to execute. But, do I have to measure grams with an electric scale? I don't want to invest in one.
  • Now this recipe is measured in teaspoons and tablespoons. But there are more ingredients to buy.
  • Where do I buy borax? It sounds familiar. Is it a grocery store item?
  • How do I know how much EO fragrance I can add?
  • Should I buy a book on lotion making? Or can the internet teach me all I need to know? I found this book on Amazon and initially thought it looked good. But the reviews are mixed and make me think it's not right for my purpose.
  • Holy crap! I just found this list of websites with premade bases. Another option I've been looking at. You guys....this is far too many options. I'll be comparison shopping for days! LOL! I hope some of you reading this will have advice or experience on this topic. Because I'm beginning to think I just need to buy some lotion on Etsy. I found several shops with cocoa/shea butter lotions that will scent to suit.
  • But where's the fun in giving up before I even try it?! I could spend money on all new crafty supplies! LOL!

2 comments:

Lissa said...

Hi sweetie!! Glad to see you stopped by the ol blog! I've been out of it for awhile now...just trying to get some things together!
Wish I had some lotion advice for you, but I've never been in the preggo state. Have you ever tried making your own lotion? Lots of health food stores and natural food places sell a base lotion and you add the scents and fillers. I've never made any..just soap :) Good luck in your quest!

Karen Tremblay said...

Hey, I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now and as soon as I saw this I had to comment!

I was in exactly the same situation as you a couple of months ago and started doing research on lotions etc for my itchy preggo tummy. I'm a bit farther than you (34 weeks now) and the itchiness has been driving me NUTS lately!

I've done tons of research and would be happy to direct you to some sites, recipes, suppliers if you want to try making your own, or some great Etsy sellers if you'd rather buy already made.

Email me at kltihor@yahoo.ca if you're interested, ok?

Btw, congrats on the bun in the oven! :D