Monday, December 10, 2007

The first layer

We are in the midst of an ice storm. The weatherman says a 2nd wave will be coming thru tomorrow. Oh joy!

All the area schools are closed, but Aaron still made it to work today. He had some comp time to take off, however, so he's currently on his way home after a half day. I think conditions are worse in the metro area, but we've still received close to an inch of ice I bet. Our lights flicker now and then, but we've been VERY fortunate not to lose power like many other people. I've been peeping out the windows that are not iced over and got a few pictures.
See the nice ice skating rink down there?

The view out the clay room:

To the south:

To the west:

These trees out Emily's window (east) show how thick it is.

These trees get a good amount of the north wind. Unfortunately I can't take pics out any of our north windows. They are solid sheets of ice.
Today I get busy putting the plastic window wrap on the rest of our windows. All these old windows are drafty!

5 comments:

Gaile said...

BRRRRRRRRRRRRR! I won't complain that it's just below freezing here, because we also have sun and no precip at the moment. Your ice is pretty to look at, but I guess at the same time that can be pretty deadly. Stay warm!

Gina said...

I was just coming here to check on you! Please stay safe and warm.

It's hitting here today, though nothing like you've gotten.

Christie said...

Thanks Gaile for stopping by and commenting. :) Yes, the ice really is pretty (ALMOST pretty enough I want to go outside for better pictures....almost) but it's a real PITA. I'm glad you guys are dry! We've been hearing about the salmon swimming down the streets of Seattle. But then, I guess you are quite a distance from there.

Gina, thanks for checking in on me. :) I just read on your blog that you guys are getting a storm too. I hope it passes you as uneventfully as possible!

Polka Dot Creations said...

Oh, wow, you're in that ice storm area, eh? It's all over the news here because we're probably next. The weather men are positively giddy about two back-to-back storms.

Gina said...

Just read that there's another round headed your way. Hope you're all well. :)