Friday, June 29, 2007

Frustrated

Many years ago I was a web graphics designer. I had a website where I offered both free graphics and custom made things. I loved it. Until the frustrations began to out weigh the fun.

Anyone who is a little web saavy knows that online images have a URL and can be linked to from outside websites. If you do this without the owner's permission it's called stealing bandwidth, and it can cost the owner money if it's severe enough. This happened everyday to me, back then, and I spent more time tracking down thieves than making graphics. Eventually I closed up shop because of it. It's no fun to spend hours or days creating something beautiful and then have someone steal it and not give credit to the creator.

Ironically enough the same thing has happened to one of my clay creations. I wonder if it's karma biting me in the ass? Some months ago I found myself in the middle of a copying/ethical situation where I was the 'bad guy'. My error was made in complete ignorance. It was an honest mistake. If I had been part of the "in crowd"..or maybe the more financially capable crowd...it would have never happened. But I am not one of the fortunate clayers who are able to take classes and attend conferences. I did not know 'the rules'.

I'm hoping the writer of this blog article is making an honest mistake also. I am trying to extend the same kindness that was given to me when I screwed up. Yesterday I left the guy a comment informing him that I was the creator of the pink and black bracelet, and would appreciate a link back and proper credit for creating it. He is also stealing bandwidth from Flickr where my picture is stored. So far he has taken the time to delete my comment but not correct his error. This is making me think it was not an 'honest mistake'.

I also saw a lady commented asking him if he'd be interested in making beads for her. Is this because she thinks MY bracelet is his creation? I wonder.
He also linked to two videos. But he did not clearly state WHO made them. A ton of time goes into making one of those! Those people deserve an appreciative knod.

Anyway...it's just frustrating. A day has passed since I sent a message and so far there is no sign of 'doing the right thing'. *big sigh* I do not want to delete the picture from my flickr album. It is my most popular picture. Quite a few people have marked it as a flickr favorite and left such wonderful comments. If I delete the picture, just to take it off this guy's blog then I lose the flickr history associated with it. But it may be my only option. Honest mistakes are fine. Just being a jerk is not.

What would you do? Do I just turn the other cheek and ignore it? Or do I create a new watermarked picture, upload it, and delete the original? Wait? I'd be interested to know what you think.

8 comments:

Cat Therien said...

Honey, check PCC - you'll see what I would do, and did. There is no reason why you should be forced to close up a flikr pic just because someone is irresponsible. It's not that he's ignorant or he'd have responded to you. So he knows he's doing this on purpose and just flat out doesn't care.

Well, lets see if he cares when a hundred PCC'ers gets on his case!

Hugs,
Cat

Anonymous said...

Yes, what Cat said. It's a shame that people stoop so low as to do this sort of thing.
I'd also rename the picture in Flicker if I were you, just add a number or a letter to it, that way his page will be showing the dreaded red X cause the link will be broken ;-)

Stormy

Polka Dot Creations said...

First, it's pretty obvious when you look at the caliber of beads he is making in the tutorial photos, that the bracelet is *not* his, so you can take comfort in that.

I like your watermark idea. Don't remove the photo altogether - I've seen it around a lot and think of it as kind of a trademark for you. But if you replace the photo with an identical one that credits you as the artist, that ought to do the trick. In fact, you should put your etsy shop address on it, so all of his viewers will go buy all of your pretty things :-)

Barbara Forbes-Lyons said...

Christie,
Replace the image with one that says "This Image Stolen from...". Very effective...

Kathi said...

Hi christie...this is what I posted to hi9m...lord knows if he will ok it or not *g*
"Hi Andrew. I think it is nice that you are showcasing Christie’s work, but what would be even nicer is if you give her the credit and a link to her site. Her tutorials are good ones for the beginning clayer. Many find cane making very intimidating and having step by step tutorials is a good way to get past the intimidation factor.

just a little fyi on internet netiquette. Most folks don’t hotlink to others images as that is considered mooching their band width. Contact Christie through her site and I bet she would allow you to put the tutorial up on your server so it is your bandwidth being used."

Lets see if he is a gentleman or not. I also agree with what other folks have said here....change the file name so he has a broken link, put up an "stolen from" image in it's place....all sorts of fun stuff you can do. what? me? evyl? never....just protective of other artists.

Happy claying

Sharon B. said...

Christie,

There is a web site where a very smart and helpful guy has information about preventing deep linking. I don't have any need for it, but it may be helpful to you.

http://www.stephenmorse.org/create/deeplink.htm

Good luck,
Sharon

Sharon B. said...

Oops! I don't know why the entire link didn't post.

http://www.stephenmorse.org/create/deeplink.htm

Trying again. If it doesn't work, the rest of the link was:
/deeplink.htm

Cat Therien said...

Victory!!

He took down the pic on his blog. And his response to everyone from PCC who challenged him on it was so absurd, that anyone who reads it will see right through it.

Big hugs,

Cat